About two weeks ago at the grocery store, I got a few very interesting compliments. Julia and I were running some errands and grabbing some quick groceries. I always use the time at the store to talk to Julia since we are face to face. I talk about what we are buying and looking for. Colors, names, etc. We passed a grandmotherly aged woman while I was talking to Julia about finding the yellow bananas. She passed us, stopped her cart and came back. She told me that it was so wonderful to see a mom talking to her daughter. Before I could say anything she walked away. Julia was holding on to a new package of baby goldfish (her favorite snack besides fruit). When we got to the register, I loaded the rest of the items onto the belt while another lady was checking out. I then asked Julia if I could have the fish to give to the lady. Julia handed the fish to me and I said "Thank you". The young girl at the cash register (no more than 20) smiled and told me how nice it was to see a parent be respectful of their child! She said she always sees parents just yelling or grabbing items out of their children's hands.
These compliments sure felt great - but also made me feel sad. Is no one else talking to their kids or taking the time to use the manners we want to teach? Just some food for thought - I may only have 1 child, but I sure have learned that they grow up too fast and I wouldn't want to miss any of these opportunities.
_Kathy
No comments:
Post a Comment